Saturday 19 September 2015

Welcome to my blog!

This is me. 

And this is the point at which I normally reach for the bottle of dye. Can you see a bit of grey around my temples? This happens every couple of weeks. Then a stripe of silver appears on top of my head. And then...well, I don't know. I've never allowed it to get further than that. 

I've been thinking about going grey for at least a year. Many things put me off.

Firstly I'm known, in part, for having big, black, curly hair. It's my trademark.

Secondly, I worried it would make me look or feel old.

Thirdly, I was worried about what other people would think.

Does any of this sound familiar? I hope so.

So, why have I changed my mind? There are a few reasons.

The first is that I am a keynote speaker and I am always talking about being yourself when I stand on the stage. I challenge people to strip back the layers of pretense and show people who they are. It is a double standard if I don't do that myself. I feel I'm hiding who I really am every time I cover my grey.

The second reason is that I try to be healthy and tread lightly on the planet. All the chemicals I'm putting on my head don't feel right. 

Finally I have support. Not everyone in your life is going to think going grey is a good idea. Certainly there are plenty of people in my life who've advised against it. But the people I live with and that I love are really up for doing this journey with me. OK, maybe I should have been able to do it without that. But it helps.

You will have your own reasons. Maybe you're further down the road than me and can share some experiences to help me. Maybe you're just thinking and want to see what it's been like for other people. 

To be honest, I don't think being grey is going to be particularly hard. I think the journey to grey is going to be hard. It will take a long time, there will be a long "in between" time. Will I give up? Will I see it through? At this point I don't know.

Let's see! And thanks for joining me. It helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment